Luxurious, comfortable and hardwearing, leather is the ultimate statement material for furniture, shoes, handbags and other goods. Unfortunately, few homeowners understand how to care for their leather goods properly.
With large and often expensive items of furniture such as leather lounges and sofas, knowing the right way to clean leather furniture is paramount to the longevity of these items.
If treated correctly, your leather furniture will last for many years.
Like all surfaces, leather furniture does need cleaning due to the build-up of dust, dirt, grease and general domestic germs. Leather can also develop dry patches, which, if left untreated, may crack. A leather conditioning treatment can help to maintain the soft, supple character of the leather.
Due to its organic nature, leather is a tricky product to clean, so you will need to do a bit of homework before you begin. Never use heavy-duty household cleaners, scrub, saturate or leave your leather to dry in direct sunlight. With leather, being cautious should be your number one priority.
Here are a few tips from our Elite Leather Cleaning Professionals.
- Only use products specifically designed to clean leather. If you use products that are not suitable for leather you may inadvertently prevent the material from breathing.
- Test any leather-cleaning product in an inconspicuous place first. Allow this test area to dry to ensure you are satisfied with the results.
- When cleaning leather always ensure you wipe along the grain, never scrub or rub against the grain of the leather.
- Oversaturation when trying to clean leather can be a significant cause for concern. The leather’s inability to recover from complete saturation may leave your furniture completely ruined.
- Ensure your leather is left to dry naturally in a well-ventilated position, out of direct sunlight.
- Professional cleaning every couple of years can greatly extend the life of your leather furniture.
For professional leather cleaning, our technicians are highly trained and experienced in all facets of cleansing and leather rejuvenation.
If you have leather sofas, lounges, recliners or other pieces of leather furniture that require some extra love and attention, give us a call. We treat each piece of leather furniture by hand, ensuring a thorough clean and condition. Your leather furniture will look fantastic once it has had the Elite treatment.