Carpets represent one of the largest investments in your home, so it makes a lot of sense to look after your investment with a few easy to follow steps. Here are just four things to remember to keep your carpets in great condition.
Use Entrance Mats
A simple but highly effective tip to maintaining your carpet is to use mats at entrances to your home. It’s also a good idea to have a mat at any transition from a hard surface onto carpet, as it greatly reduces the amount of soil or other dirt transferred. Don’t forget to clean your entrance mats on a regular basis so they keep working as intended.
The most important piece of advice in carpet care is vacuuming. We know you don’t want to hear this(!), but vacuuming should be carried out on a regular basis. Remember it’s the soil particles in the carpet that act as abrasives that in turn reduce carpet life. Slow vacuuming in a north, south and east, west pattern will achieve the best results. Treating your carpets with suitable carpet protection products (such as Elite Carpet Protection) will make vacuuming more effective and extend the life of your carpets. (Elite Carpet Dry Cleaning uses and recommends Sebo vacuum cleaners. Contact your local franchisee for details)
Some stains in carpet are particularly difficult to remove. However your chances of removing the spot are improved if they’re treated straight away.
Use the following as a guide to remove spots from carpets:
- Scoop up any excess with a spoon.
- Blot the spill with white paper towel or a white cotton cloth. Do not rub.
- Apply an approved carpet spot remover sparingly to the spot and let it work for a few minutes.
- Blot the treated area with white paper towel or a white cotton cloth to remove as much of the spot as possible.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 if necessary.
- If the spot is still present you may need to call a Carpet Care Professional (Elite Carpet Dry Cleaning sells a product called Supa Spotta. Supa Spotta is a general purpose spot and surface cleaner with incredible cleaning power. Contact your local franchisee for details)
Regular Professional Carpet Cleaning
We recommend you have your carpets professionally cleaned every 12 – 18 months. There are a number of ways to clean carpets. Here at Elite, we exclusively use the Carpet Dry Cleaning method.
We do this for a number of reasons…
- Your carpet will not stretch, split or shrink when dry cleaned
- The backing and underlay never get wet so less stress to your carpet
- You’ll get better results
- You’ll be able to walk on your carpet as early as an hour after cleaning
- Dry cleaning reduces the risk of damage that over wetting may cause
Make sure that the professional carpet cleaning company you use goes through the following three step process when cleaning your carpet:
Treatment of your carpet with special cleaning solution and deodoriser before the carpet cleaning
Use of a professional grade vacuum cleaner (as these pick up a lot more dust and grit than your normal household vacuum cleaner)
Raking the carpet using a specially designed rake (this helps to bring back the carpet pile)
Once your carpet is cleaned this way, you should be able to walk on it as little as an hour later – and there will be no need to leave the house or leave all of your windows open to avoid that strong wet carpet smell.